Be Careful Little Eyes
Christianity is a more than a religion of “thou shall not” it is also a religion “do.” There is a children’s song that we sing “Be careful little eyes.” We all need to be reminded NOT do certain things and to NOT go certain places. We might stress to a young toddler no, no! But as he gets older he needs to be taught some things to DO. Christianity is PROACTIVE.
- As we mature in Christ we should be reminded, “Be careful little eyes that you see.” We read in Matthew 14:14 – “And when Jesus went out He saw a great multitude; and He was moved with compassion for them, and healed their sick.” Notice John 9:1 – “Now as Jesus passed by, He saw a man who was blind from birth.” We need eyes like the eyes of Jesus.
- As we mature in Christ we should be reminded, “Be careful little ears that you hear.” Hearing is such a blessing, but often people just tune out, because it takes effort to hear. It takes the right heart to hear. Jesus did tell people what they needed to hear, but He also took time to listen to them. He listened to the rich young ruler (Matthew 19:16ff). He listened to Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews, (John 3). He listened to the woman at the well, a sinner (John 4). We need ears like the ears of Jesus.
- As we mature in Christ we should be reminded, “Be careful little mouth that you say.” The wise man said in Proverbs 27:5 – “Open rebuke is better than love carefully concealed.” Jesus did not hesitate to rebuke those who were corrupt (Matthew 23). We need a voice like the voice of Jesus.
- As we mature in Christ we should be reminded, “Be careful little hands that you do.” Consider Luke 18:15 – “Then they also brought infants to Him that He might touch them…” We are told in Luke 9:62 – “No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.” We need hands like the hands of Jesus.
- As we mature in Christ we should be reminded, “Be careful little feet that you go.” We are told in Matthew 28.19ff – “Go Make Disciples…” We need feet like the feet of Jesus.
A religion of nothing more than “thou shall not” is limited. Christianity involves “thou shall not” but it also involves DO. Christianity is PROACTIVE.